Monday, May 12, 2008

Spaghetti Sunday

Ladies and gentlemen, I fear this evening I shall have to be rather brief, today was kind of a lazy day I relaxed and taught some of my students who came over how to make spaghetti, pretty simple but I showed them a couple spins on it. I had them try some balsamic vinegar to put in the sauce, and when they thought it was too sour you should have seen their eyes when I put sugar in the sauce. "Sugar? Broz you must be joking" Well then I got to thinking we could make this a little more fun so I grabbed some chili powder and had them taste a little bit. They got a kick out of it so we put some of that in,I followed that up by opening the cupboard and grabbing a half opened bag of chocolate chips and started tossing them in and my students stared incredulously "Chocolate chips?!?! they just couldn't believe I would put chocolate chips in the sauce. When we taste tested it they assured me that all they could taste was the chocolate, mind over matter, but I just chuckled a bit and added a little more of our other seasonings. That is the great thing about cooking there are so many flavor combinations sure you can go by the the recipe follow it to the gram, but the truth of the matter is if it doesn't taste right you are going to have to veer off anyways. Although I have a pretty bland diet, I like to cook for other people and do a little showing off but I tell you it was excellent with these kids, they stuffed themselves silly and said it was delicious. My options are pretty limited up here in terms of ingredients but I was able to throw together a crystal light lemon and basil chickenover rice that wasn't half bad, it is amazing what you'll try to spice up meals now and then. For those of you that have stuck through with me throughout my oatmeal endevours, I am down to just 2 of the original 12 containers of Quaker Regular Oats. It looks like my 50-60lb order was almost on the money for the year. This next week promises to be an interesting one of harpoon making and it looks like I might top it off Sunday by singing in Yup'ik to the entire Sunday evening congregation. I have a serious week of practice ahead but it promises to be enjoyable, I'll kepe you folks posted, until then think about veering off the "Recipe" and see what you come up with.

Hmmm actually if you have a recipe that you particularly enjoy post it on the comments and I will see about putting together a collection of recipes maybe a Cooks corner of sorts.

No comments: