Sunday, May 18, 2008

Doors opening...

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, we had a couple of hiccups but overall the song was a success, I got up on stage thanked everyone and then my students came up on stage and sung with me. After the initial shakes, it was pulled together and at the end of Church people were shaking my hand and thanking me for talking. But it wasn't just the shaking and the thanking, their eyes, they were welcoming, as if given enough time there would be the opportunity to become close friends with everyone there. Doors were opened today, and I have a feeling that when I return in a couple of months some of those doors might be only slightly ajar,(due to tundra shifting:), however with a little more time and effort the welcome will be returned. Now most of you know that I am not a devoutly religious person, however I do feel it important to spend time doing good works and also to improve oneself with self-reflection. I find the Church the perfect opportunity to persue these aspirations, for while I cannot understand about 80% of what is said during the service, I am able to think about the past occurrances and behaviors I have adopted. In those hours you can think about a sick relative, the person next to you, or how a religion came to be adopted. Questions abound, and because religion is a relatively personal topic I only ask myself, not wanting to put anyone on the spot. I think it is something I could almost study as a hobby, I am intently curious about the "Why" certain behaviors exist, and for what purpose could they have been developed. It is like a puzzle without any edges and you are never sure if you even have all of the pieces. Now Ladies and Gentlemen, I am no theologian, but try to find some time in your hectic schedules to reflect on yourself, it doesn't have to be any religious worship, it can be through exercise, maybe step away from the computer or the tv or that killer book, and just give yourself a some serious self time.

No comments: