Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Comfy couches and Almighty grouches

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I spent the afternoon with my Grandmother today and while perusing stores for a particular sofa I was not only able to pick a few snippets about interior decorating but I also was able to hear an interesting perspective on religion. Concerning sofas I realized that their is a whole language devoted to picking out a piece of furniture, if you dont speak the language you have virtually no idea as to what is being talked about. It got me thinking, I am pretty ignorant of this terminology however given the time I could probably learn it, if all of these different fields have their own lingo I was wondering if it is possible to be knowledgable in all areas. I mean it is something you would really have to apply yourself into and I think there may not be enough time in a life to learn it all so we find ourselves reduced to choosing what we spend our time doing and wondering if it is actually worth it. In this picking and choosing I find I have to be careful not to get all sour grapey, for although I cannot seem to get the concept of designing, there are people who do, and spend time fastidiously trying to achieve perfection with what they have, that ladies and gentlemen is something that I can grasp. While color scheming and patterns are beyond me, the effort and thought which would go into a room is something I can appreciate.
As for religion, well, I am fascinated by it and today I picked up a little more. Over lunch I was discussing generational changes of religion and my Grandmother provided my with this anecdote. The God of your generation seems to be a forgiving one, when I was growing I was taught the if you told a lie God would pound a nail through your head. Now ladies and gentlemen I kind of follow this pendulum perspective wit history and I never thought about applying it to religion. That we are constantly shifting between poles with time, politcally, we get a little conservative, however the more conservative we get the stronger the pull towards liberal viewpoints and it will follow until the liberal ideas generate enough response from conservatives to swing it back the other way. I love the pendulum approach and you can apply it to naything, take generations industrious generations followed by slacker generations followed by the industrious 0one who pick up the pieces of the slackers. It never occurred to apply it to religion, but the same patterns are there we could be experience the different sways between strength in devoutness versus weaknesses of actions and pleas for forgiveness. What is going to cause to the shift hmm ladies and gentlemen this si something for me to chew on right now I am kind of thinking some kind of calamity...I think I will try devloping this idea further in a later blog we wills ee what comes of it

No comments: