Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Making Pens and revisting friends

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have been a little remiss in my posting and for that I apologize, however I have a feeling that I should be able to keep the rhythm going all throughout the summer, so please bear with me. These last couple of days have been packed meeting and relaxing with old friends. We play games of catch-up and I find myself feeling like this is what I have truly missed out in the bush. The friends, the family, it seems a whole different life I am slipping into, one I left when I took my excursion. I suppose it may have to do with the lack of responsibility I find myself with. For two months I don't have to worry about what I say, who I say it to, and what I do. The roughest part about bush life is the censorship you exert on yourself. It seems one is constantly surrounded by work 24/7 out there, it is rare to get a break, however back home your friends are at the ready with ears to hear your tales, everyone has their problems ladies and gentlemen, but man alive does it feel good to share them and kick them around.

On a completely different note I learned how to make a wooden pen today. My father has picked up another hobby, and it is crafting pens. Now not only was it an intriguing process and the different wood types incredible it kind of triggered a memory in my that my father said he would love to work with wood whenever he retires. He has a myriad of projects going on, finishing up one boat, building an 8 foot wooden boat for my nephew, and now the pens. Although my father has not retired he is still shifting into and developing his hobby. Now people say you should love your work, but love it all you want, there is still going to be stress from it. We all need an activity to balance ourselves, one that allows us to completely unwind and focus on something stress free. If we continually run ourselves through the gambit of work which only provides a necessary but only tangible reward of money, watch yourself, if all you are obtaining is a paycheck you need to try and make sure you are able to gain an accomplishment of self fulfillment in other areas. What these areas are, are highly dependent upon ourselves, for my father it is shaping wood, myself, I am not quite sure yet. I think I should keep my eye out for a stress free hobby of my own. If you folks have any suggestions I would be than happy to here them.

No comments: