Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Food tastes best in Tundra"

Ladies and gentlemen, man alive is it difficult to finish a post once I begin. I have a smattering of half started posts that I had to leave in the middle of without fully developing the idea. I have just gotten back from an entire day spent in the tundra. I have experienced the kick back of 12 gauge against my shoulder, took aim and fired again, however those Nuqluqs are crafty and somehow they always seemed to dodge with lightening agility the shot I put out after them . I then was able to disembowel it to keep it fresh and waited for eight hours in the tundra. Just laying on a mossy knoll covered with lichen and taking it all in. During the long wait my partner and I pooled our provisions and I traded some coffee, dried apricots, and triscuit crackers, for dried tom cod, assalaq(eskimo fried bread), and akutaq(eskimo ice cream.) Ladies and Gentlemen it is incredibly true, food tastes better in the tundra. My buddy's gram told him to take food he didn't like out with him into the tundra he didn't enjoy, and when he tried it he thought it was the best food he had ever eaten. I have to admit I at first kind of smiled along and thought that hunger would have flavored the food, but man when I dipped the fried bread into the akutaq I thought it was pure bliss. I am kind of a half fan of akutaq, it kind of depends on who makes it sometimes it is a hit or miss, but man I'll be jiggered, it was the best combo I have placed in my mouth. I may have to set up an appointment with the Culinary Wizard himself and see if we can develop a flavor that is somehow related to extreme exertions in 35 degree weather. As I was laying there though I ate a couple different lichens, and more labrador. The stuff can kind of grow on you after a while. It is kind of liberating to get out of the village, I have been kind of trapped between work and home work and home, and it seemed like I really couldn't move from the confines of the 200 yard area due to excessive mud. However the trusty mudboots paired up with my partner in crime wearing waders we were able to navigate the coulple mile journey without any sinking occurring. I don't think I am ready to start exploring by myself because you really need to know where the rivers and deep water is at. Most of the time the ice cant support you at this part of the year and knowing where you are at can be the difference of 6 in drop or a 4+ ft drop. I soaked in quite a bit of sun today, the first time I have tanned in such weather, well I shouldn't really say tan, more like a light cherry tomatoed. My face has that familiar warmth emanating from it that I tend to associate with this time of year, I just didn't expect to feel it while wading through snow and ice. I am also beginning to be able to discern different birds by their call, because that is the first clue that the type of bird you are looking for is approaching. All in all there are quite a few things you have to keep in mind the wing span, how quick or slow they flap, and obviously size, but the call is your best friend. When you are always scanning the skies it seems to get pretty tough to continually pick out the birds, and every now and then one will sneak up on you. While I was without luck this venture once agian I have added a bundle to my repetiore of knowledge concerning hunting.(it was non existant prior to the week.) Til next time ladies and gentlemen, man I wish you all could have tasted it, I suppose I will have to try and figure out how to get all of you out here...
I am going to have to pick up some waders and camoflauge gear when I am back home for the return trip up here. I could really learn to love going out all day and just relaxing waiting for the bird to turn up.

No comments: