Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tank Crossing???

Day 5
Waverly -> Blackstone
We are continuing to ride through Virginia and the terrain seems to become a little more hilly with quite a few inclines and oddly enough never as many downhills as one would like. We passed quite a few gravesites and I could just think of my parents tracing geneology, so I decided to make some stops and take some pictures of headstones. There were actually quite a few that dated back to the Civil War (Confederate side) so I snapped a shot of them and a couple other interesting signs along the way. One of them being “ Tank Crossing.” We were riding through a military base out there and one of the riders actually got to see the tank! When I saw the sign I kind of went into the same mode as when you see a deer crossing sign on the side of the road. You kind of get ready for a deer to spring out at anytime, well the same thing kind of happened to me with the tank, I was just waiting for one to crash through the trees out of the forest and onto the road.
I was struggling through more of the hills and we ended up doing detours and getting lost for a great portion of the ride but eventually made it into the Blackstone Campus and we were surprised with beds for all of to sleep in for the evening. It was a dorm but kind of nice they had a swimming pool that we all made use of. And then after dinner we decided to have a night out on the town. We went to a little tavern called Sully’s and pretty much doubled their Saturday crowd as 20 of us entered the bar. We shared some drinks with each other as we related tales, and learned more about each other. We had an early morning of riding tomorrow so we didn’t stay up too late or imbibe too heavily. I attempted to type this journal entry yesterday I was simply too exhausted. Better late than never…

No comments: