Wednesday, May 27, 2009

CHarlottesville VA DAy 6&7

We spent two days in Charlottesville, we got in pretty early after my first ride with hills that I actively enjoyed. They were rolling hills which for everyone back home in flat IL means the hills have a combination of uphills and downhills but they are spaced closely together. If you shift your gears correctly you can use your momentum going down thehill to pretty much carry you up and over the next uphill. It is pretty exhilarating and I definitly enjoyed the ride. It ended witha massive uphill ride into town and I had to get off the bike and walk up it. My body just was not ready for it yet after all of the other hills that were ridden, however it has kind of given me a starting off point by which to measure my progress. We got to stay in a sorority house and had some pretty pleasant accomodations.

The following day was a build day and I got to work on my first habitat home. It was pretty exciting although our first site got raineed out, there was a second site in town that needed quite a bit of work done on it. I was asigned to eb on a painting team, and we got the entire interior of a house primed and painted in a day. It was a bunch of fun as I re called memories of working a summer painting apartments, I do kind of like the feel of a roller in my hand and making a paint job look good. Other groups got to put up sheetrock and did some other stuff in another house. There was a lot of work that neded doing, but we rose to the task. The old adage "Many hands make light work " held true in this scenario and three houses had significant immprovements constructed in them.

My old juggling buddy Tony Gonzales was able to meet up with me in Charlottesville because he lives just in a neighboring village of Waynesboro. I hadn't seen him in years and was surprised to learn that my route passed so close to where he ended up livig and working as a journalist. We caught up a lot on what has happened over the years, and after a hard days work meeting him kind of rejuvenated me and gave me a fresh burst of energy or my second wind. We got together and juggled for a bit and afterwards he headed back out.

I can't wait until Effingham where I will get to see more of mty friends and family, it really makes this trip so incredible, I mean when we are travelling from town to town, all paces seem kind of foreign, but seeing a familiar face from the past really help kind of smooth the transition along and make each stopping point mor eentertaining.

I am a day behind with the posting so far but i have to get sleep. TSil the next time I have Internet.

1 comment:

Debbie Culpepper said...

Hey, Broz, where's the pics?????